Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cooking for my Señora :-D

I don't cook. I honestly have never put in the time to learn how to. I am so busy with school everyday that I don't have time to spend an hour cooking and I never really enjoyed sitting around the kitchen with my mom. So, I was very nervous to cook for my señora. When Andy told us that we had to cook for our señoras, I went home and explained to my señora my problem: that I needed to cook for her but I had no idea what I was going to cook. She told me "Don't worry, be happy!", her favorite English saying. She said she could teach me how to cook something Spanish. She told me she would instruct me and help a little, while I did most of the cooking! I thought this would be a great way for me to learn about Spanish food and learn a little bit about cooking too!

With my señora's help, I was able to cook a Spanish meal! And I learned a lot! We cooked a tortilla española and una ensalada con arroz y verduras. The first thing I did was cook the rice. Next, I cut the onions and let them cook in olive oil. I peeled the potatoes, washed them, cut them and added them to the saucepan. I drained the rice and cut up vegetables for our salad. I added the vegetables and some olive oil and white wine vinegar to the cooled rice. Next, I added some tuna to the salad and mixed it all up. The salad was ready and the potatoes and onions were cooking :-) After the potatoes and onions were cooked, I added them to beaten eggs. We drained most of the oil from the pan and added the egg, onion and potato mixture. My señora had to help me flip the tortilla to bake the other side. After cooking the tortilla on both sides, we were ready to eat. I am so glad my señora helped me learn how to make some Spanish food. I enjoyed learning from her because she showed me how to do everything but then she trusted me to cook on my own, so I now feel confident that I can make a Spanish tortilla. We had a great time and we had a very delicious meal. I cannot wait to make the same meal for my friends back home!



1 comment:

  1. Mia - super cool! That's a great thing to do for your señora. I'm sure she appreciated your interest in her culture and desire to learn!

    ReplyDelete